Monday, June 12, 2006

I'm a futbol fanatic

Blame Bono if you'd like, but I'm hooked on soccer. After watching the World Cup all weekend, here's what I ended up doing:
  • Watched a repeat of the Iran versus Mexico game on the Spanish channel just so I could hear the announcer scream, "Goooooooooooooooooooal!"
  • Watched MLS soccer. Compared to the World Cup, it's like watching a little league game, but it was an exciting little league game. Chicago took a two goal lead after the Revolution were robbed by a bad offsides call. Then during the four minute injury time, the Revolution scored two quick goals to earn the tie. Amazing.
  • Went to youtube.com to watch soccer highlights.
  • Showed up late to work on Monday because I couldn't stop watching the U.S. game.
So why am I suddenly hooked on soccer (and a feeling)? The most obvious reason is the quality of play and the excitement of the games. Even a misinformed fan like me can appreciate the great ball movement, athleticism, and skill on display in Germany.

Being misinformed helps too. I don't know enough to complain about the announcers. I don't know enough to dislike any players, teams, or coaches. So I'm stupidly enjoying some good soccer without my usual cynicism.

I'm so excited about the World Cup that I might need to find a bar to watch the games this Saturday morning (Godfather, let me know if you're interested).

Finally, some World Cup highlights.

6 comments:

The Godfather said...

Alan,
I'm probably going to be in CT for the weekend, but if I'm around I'd be up for the game.

Yes, the games have been great although I am still a little upset over the lack of performance by the US yesterday. Makes Saturday a must win.

Patriotsy2k said...

I kind of like the way Bruce Arena called out his team for their poor effort. He even named players like Donovan and Beasley. They supposedly can beat the Italians, yet they will have to play much better than yesterday.
Can anyone remember what other coach recently called out his team for their poor play? In this case, it actually worked.

Alan said...

From the few soccer fans I've heard from, Bruce Arena is getting a lot of criticism for poor coaching.

You stumped me patriotsy2k. My guess is Jim Mora. "Playoffs???????...You're talking about playoffs????."

Patriotsy2k said...

This was a lot more recent than Jim Mora, and he singled out a couple of players - by their position. It worked for awhile, until the team started to show its flaws again.

The Godfather said...

I do have a vague recollection of this happening. my guess (and it is a guess). Flip Saunders with Detroit.

I am very excited for the game this Saturday. I think the US will win 2-0.

The Godfather said...

ok. when I saw the post I was going to put a wise comment as a joke which happens to be the right answer as I guessed on the phone.

fuuny, I re-read my response and realized I forgot to add my joke but was too lazy to add it.