Monday, July 10, 2006

Dave Matthews, Wonder Woman, John Henry, Nadal, Federer, Zindane, and Sweet Caroline

I did survive the second night of DMB in Fenway. I had better seats than Wonder Woman and talked business with John Henry (his seats were slightly better than mine).

Sunday was a perfect day to recover in front of a television. Nadal and Federer played spectacular tennis in the morning -- it looks like we're at the beginning of a great sports rivalry. The World Cup finals were interesting but disappointing -- if Zindane hits that header into the net near the end of the game his career would have ended with an explanation point. Now, his legacy is forever tarnished by a selfish stupid act. Finally, I got to watch the 19 inning Red Sox, White Sox game -- a painful game, but a very positive first half of a season for the Red Sox.

Now I'm off for a little break. The Godfather and Patriotsy2k are joining me to search the Florida Keys for Kris from Key West. I'll be posting again in August -- maybe earlier if something big happens.

Did I mention Dave played "Sweet Caroline?"

7 comments:

Patriotsy2k said...

While Alan searches for Kris from Key West, I will be looking for Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville's Bar. Things might get messy that day!
Unfortunately, I missed the Nadal matchup and most of the Red Sox-White Sox. Maybe the Godfather can summarize Sunday's events for us all?

The Godfather said...

OK. Zidane's image will not be tarnished to me. I can't really say how he will be looked at right now, but he did lead France to the 1998 World Cup and led them to this year's final. It was a ridiculous reaction by him. I'm not really sure what set him off, but it is too bad that his national career ended that way. But good for Italy. They allowed 2 goals the whole tourament, one was an own goal against the US and the second being Zidan'e PK in the first half. Zidane won MVP of the Cup. My vote would have went for Italy's keeper.

Red Sox summary. They were kind enough to give their fans 2 games worth of baseball before the AS break. Papelbon blew the save which shows he can be human once in a while. The pen blew a 5-3 lead in extra innings and Tavares threw 4 scoreless innings. I put this blame on the Red Sox bench coaches. Dye did not re-tag 3rd base in the 11th on a fly ball. If the Sox appealed (and assuming the umpire saw he never touched the bag), the Red Sox would have won.

I didn't watch tennis because I figured the match would suck. Last time BartCop told me it was the match of all matches and it ended up being boring. Kind of reminds me of in college when Stanley ordered the fight of all fights (I remember Roy Jones Jr. was involved) and I went to watch it and they had no beer.

Patriotsy2k said...

I don't remember the Roy Jones fight, yet since it was at Stanley's, that is probably why.
Zidane's actions were curious, yet I give him credit for winning the MVP. It reminds me when Magic Johnson got kicked out of a game in the '96 season, after he aggressively bumped a ref. I know it wasnt his last game, yet the whole '96 comeback season should not have been in his agenda.
Thanks for the Sox input. I forgot about that Dye play. Manny has used this "2 games" as an excuse not to be at the All-Star game. I say leave him alone and let him enjoy his time off with Pedro.
Godfather- I checked it out, and the Bruins lost to the Canadiens in 6 games in '02 playoffs. They were the #1 seed, and were thrown out in the first round. Lowe's no hitter was in May '02 (forgot the date). The Bruins-Sabres 2nd round series was in 1999, when you were representing the Framingham posse.

The Godfather said...

There was definitely a Bruins Game 5 wheh Lowe threw the no-hitter. Obviously it would have to have been against Montreal.
The funny thing about Magic getting kicked out for bumping the ref was he was very highly critical of Nick Van Exel (I think it was Van Exel) for bumping the ref around 8 days before that incident and then he went and did it.

The Godfather said...

OK. I did my research to go along with my memory. Lowe's no hitter was on April 27. 2002, the same day as Game 5 between the Bruins & Canadians.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»