Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Bryan's Draft Preview: QB's

So I’m putting off studying for my Economics test to work rather on a draft preview. I’m going to do the quarterbacks first – you know, the sissy boys. I have to be honest with you this may be the weakest group of quarterbacks I’ve seen in awhile. It is just fortunate for some that the teams at the top need quarterbacks. I have the feeling Matt Leinart must have seen the draft order and go out as quick as he could. Before I get to my top five prospects, if you will permit me, let me say one thing about news in the college arena. Today, the NCAA allowed for college football to have one extra game on the schedule, giving them twelve on the schedule. I can’t wait for the first idiot to say that, “if they can give an extra game, why can’t they give a playoff.” It wont happen buddy, so shut up.

My Top 5 Quarterback Prospects

  1. Aaron Rodgers, California: Strong arm and great accuracy, and he may be the best mechanical quarterback there is. He put up huge numbers in college, though I have a concern that his numbers are a benefit from being in such a good system. Remember, his college coach Jeff Tetford got a lot of offers from some NFL teams to be either an offensive coordinator or a head coach. Of course, this is the same guy that produced Kyle Boller, so you never know.
  2. Alex Smith, Utah: Another college quarterback that greatly benefited from a great system. Decent arm strength, but very accurate. Great performance in his bowl game, which should help him greatly.
  3. Charlie Frye, Akron: Gotta be really honest with you, I have no idea who this kid is. What I did was look at as many draft boards as I could and his name kept coming up. Here is what some ‘experts’ say about him…Smart and tough...Has good size...Has good natural athleticism and speed...Durable and tough...Accurate passer...Has been very productive...Combines top intangibles with good physical ability and measurables. Another plus, he is from the MAC, think: Pennington, Leftwich, and Rothlisburger.
  4. Jason Campbell, Auburn: Very athletic, and a great scrambler. I would say he is the most athletic quarterback coming out in the draft today. Though really, I have to say, I don’t really expect him to be an NFL quarterback. The only thing that makes me say that he could, he does not have the greatest of speed to switch over to a wide receiver.
  5. Kyle Orton, Purdue: He seemed to be Purdue’s starting quarterback for eight years, so he has experience. I put him at five for no other reason than that experience. Remember, Purdue plays a style of ball that Head Coach Joe Tiller describes as, “sissy ball.” Meaning, the ball is in the air at all times.

Teams in need of a Quarterback

  1. San Francisco: I can’t imagine anybody being really happy with Tim Rattay or Ken Dorsey. They have the first pick, and I’ll bet that Aaron Rodgers won’t have to move that far.
  2. Miami: Oh please let them draft Smith, please please please. They could use a young quarterback that Saban and his staff can groom for the job in three years. I want them to draft a QB simply because of who they really do like at the 2 spot – sorry I want the Bears to draft Ronnie Brown.
  3. Cleveland: I am really beginning to think that Terrel Owens was completely right about Jeff Garcia. Garcia just sucks, and so does Holcombe, though I’d pick Holcombe over Garcia. Luckily for Cleveland, they are going to have the NFL Coach of the Year next year, and he needs some offense behind him to do that.
  4. Arizona: Who the hell is Josh McNown? Arizona has good wide receiver, and really need a running back (trying to actually work out a trade for Travis Henry right now), but I question who would throw the ball to the receivers and hand off the ball?
  5. Kansas City: Do you know who Trent Green’s backup is? Neither do I and he is getting old. The Chiefs are fine with a healthy Green, but you have to expect the unexpected to happen, and they are going to have to look towards the future.

Other teams in need but not desperate: Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Washington, Dallas, Seattle, and New Orleans

That is it for the quarterbacks, soon I’ll run through the rest of the offense then defense. I’ll save the best for last, my favorite positions, defensive line.

No comments: