Monday, March 28, 2005

Best weekend of college basketball

I can't remember a better weekend of basketball. Not only were the games exciting, but there was an incredible display of talent. I already commented on Saturday's games, missed the Carolina game (damn Easter Bunny), and saw the second half of the Michigan State game.

I don't think I have much to say that hasn't already been said, but here's a few thoughts:
  • Izzo might be the best coach in college basketball. If he coached the Tar Heels, they'd be undefeated.
  • Not often do I see really intelligent college defenders. Rajon Rondo is one of them. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time.
  • College teams need to learn a better way to kill the clock. Having the point guard burn thirty seconds before rushing an offensive play is just stupid.
    • It ruins the offensive momentum your team had while building the lead.
    • It allows your opponents to rest on defense so they have more energy for offense.
    • It's tougher to score when you give yourself less time to run a play.
    • Points are usually more valuable than an extra ten seconds burned.
  • This is what teams should do when they have the lead: continue to run your same offense, but be more selective with your shots.
  • Do they still teach boxing out? Michigan State and Louisville would not have come back without all their offensive rebounds.
Finally, I know everyone's concerned about how my bracket is doing. After the strongest start I've ever had, I'm now experiencing a Yankeesque collapse. I'm down three points to Patriotsy2k, but I think I can retake the lead if Carolina does well. Hopefully Sean May and Raymond Felton perform better than Kevin Brown and A-Rod.

No comments: