Friday, October 29, 2004

Go away Tim McCarver

Anti-McCarver sites are finally appearing and that's a good thing. For now, I'd just like to mention this: In the 1999 playoffs, some Sox fans responded to scandalously bad umpiring by throwing plastic water bottles on the field. McCarver was appalled, he spent the next 30 minutes attacking all of Red Sox Nation -- the fans, management, Jimy Williams, the entire population of New England. According to Tim, this was the end of civilization.

Five years later, Yankee fans are upset at the umpires. This is understandable for two reasons; they couldn't see instant replays and for the first time in the last 100 years two close calls actually went against the Yankees. Fans throw bottles and baseballs on the field. Riot police actually need to protect the field. McCarver's spends maybe five seconds on the subject, and Fox probably shows footage of Bucky Dent or Babe Ruth (just a guess, but I like my odds).

I admit this is all from my memory, so if anyone has transcripts or a different memory please tell me. By the way if Bartcop can have a Bartcop Sports, why can't Media Matters have Media Matters Sports?

No comments: