Monday, March 07, 2005

Catching up...

Now that my one week exile from Boston sports is over, here are some thoughts about last week:
  • Maybe I was wrong about Walker. He looks like a different player (in better shape, doesn't shoot the three as much) and his presence has revitalized the Celtics. People in Boston actually talk about them (in between discussion of Wade Miller and David Wells).
  • The Bruins didn't lose a game last week.
  • BC did. UCONN will win the Big East Tornament.
  • I believe the Revolution still play soccer.
  • Sox spring training is still boring. No good stories at all. Here's a television show idea I just had: Trading Sports. Have an MLB player go through the 1st week of NFL training camp and have an NFL player go through the first week of spring training. Then put the two guys in the same room and ask them to compare salaries. I know there's some very athletic baseball players, but it's tough to call them athletes when you watch their "workouts."
  • Patriots. I've been putting this off and here goes nothing. I will miss Troy Brown, Joe Andruzzi, David Patten, and Joe Andruzzi. These guys were good players and really good "character" guys. They helped create the Pats' winning personality. That being said, I agree with the moves. The downfall of Super Bowl Champs is usually age and salary cap issues, and that's what these moves were about.
The Pats have let go popular and good players before, and they've been able to replace them. I remember in the beginning of this season people were wondering how the Pats would do without Damien Woody and Ted Washington. They did okay because personnel did a good job replacing them.

Hopefully, Pioli and Belichick will continue their success in finding good replacements

No comments: