Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Ready for some BC Basketball

Before you read this, read the post below about those damn Florida people.

Something I forgot to mention about my wonderful drive home was what was on sports radio. I try not to write too much about local sports personalities, but tonight I'll make an exception. On the most popular sports radio station in Boston (they claim America), Ted Sarandis is on every night from seven to midnight. Now what do you suppose a Boston Sports Radio host would talk about: the Red Sox making the most incredible comeback in baseball history to beat their longtime rivals to end sports' most celebrated championship drought? How 'bout the Pats, coming off their third Super Bowl victory and facing the challenge of what popular players to keep and who to let go? How bout the streaking Celtics who just brought back a love-him-or-hate-him athlete that's been the topic of billions of Boston arguments? How 'bout the Revolution?

Nope. This great sports personality wants to talk about BC basketball all of the time. BC basketball and nothing more. This is what I learned from him during my commute.
  • I should be ashamed of myself because while BC sold out most of its Big East games, few people showed up to watch them play powerhouses Maine, New Hampshire, and LIU Brooklyn . How dare I not show up to those games?
  • BC runs a flex offense. Interesting.
  • They don't have strong guard play which could hurt them in the tournament.
  • The only reason why UCONN has had more success than BC is that the Connecticut legislature pours tons of money into UCONN basketball (I'm not saying this; this is what I have to listen to on sports radio).
  • BC would have more athletic success if they didn't have such high academic standards. (Two criticisms about this: One, I've met several BC grads, and let's just say there's no way their academic standards can be that high. Two, I don't hear Stanford and Duke making this excuse.)
  • BC sports would be much more popular if the local media gave them more respect. (Guess he's ignoring the fact that Boston's number one sports columnist, Bob Ryan, a BC graduate, writes several articles a year praising BC athletics.
  • Junior Craig Smith will stay for his senior year because he promised to his family that he'd graduate. (I'm sure that the fact he has no chance of being drafted in the first round has nothing to do with him staying in school).
I have no idea where this post is going and I don't even know if it's coherent. I guess I'll end it with a few words on why BC sports isn't that popular in Massachusetts.

One, there's usually something better going on. Sorry, but the professional teams are more interesting than a college team that is usually average, sometimes above average.

Two, BC is a small private school that most Boston citizens have no connection to. Compare that to Ohio State where it seems like most of Ohio's voting population are Buckeye alums.

Three, Boston University. BU versus BC is similar to Sox versus the Yanks. BU is a bigger school, so that's a lot of BU alumni and children of alumni who are taught to hate BC.

Four, many Boston people don't like BC. You knows those real loud obnoxious meatheads in bars. Those are usually BC students and grads.

Five, sports radio fans listen to a fanatical dj who chastises Bostonians for not supporting "their" team.

So I am not a big BC fan! I don't hate them like the Yankees, and when there is an enjoyable team to watch like this year's basketball team I'll watch and even route for them. I'm just tired of being criticized by the likes of Ted Sarandis and the Godfather for not being "loyal BC fans."

When I'm sober, I'll try to connect this with Soccer and Nascar fans interpreting other people's disinterest as some type of character flaw.

No comments: