Saturday, March 26, 2005

Not impressed with Carolina

The Villanova Carolina game is exhibit number one explaining why I'm not a big college basketball fan. That was just a painful game to watch. I just don't know who to blame: the Carolina players, Roy Williams, the flopping Nova players, or the refs (they're always part of it).

I've been reading about how Carolina is full of lottery picks and future pro's. I think the Carolina players have been reading this too because they acted like NBA players last night: they slept walked through most of the game, showing no effort on defense and not moving without the ball on offense.

I'm not an NBA scout, but I saw nothing last night that would get me excited about any of the Carolina players entering the NBA. May has good hands and understands how to rebound, but I don't know how effective he'll be when facing bigger and quicker NBA players.

Anyway, experts are saying there's a bunch of pro prospects on the Tar Heels, so maybe I should be more critical of Roy Williams, who was clearly outcoached last night. He seems to be coaching the Tar Heels like they were a McDonalds' All Star Team.

Now for the Villanova flopping. I could devote an entire web page on the topic of how flopping ruins the game of basketball. In what other game is a player rewarded for falling down? 95% of the time it's not defense, it's acting. Maybe I'll write more about this later, but needless to say, Villanova players were falling down a lot.

And the refs were falling for the act almost every time. It was just a badly officiated game (although I am kind of guessing since CBS tends not to show replays of controversial foul calls). Too many college games are determined by foul trouble, and it's frustrating when a few of the calls are dubious.

Finally, I was rooting for Carolina, but the Nova player did not travel (at least by today's standards of traveling).

No comments: