Friday, December 17, 2004

So much for wishing Pedro well

I admit it, when athletes leave Boston teams, I tend turn against them -- notables include Roger Clemens, Antoine Walker, and Mo Vaughn. I don't think players realize this, but most fans are more loyal to the teams rather than the players. I think Seinfeld once said, "sports fans are routing for laundry." Players come and go, but teams stay (unless they move) so I always stick with my teams rather than the players who leave.

When I started to realize Pedro might leave, I thought I might cheer for him. Pedro pitching in his prime was the most entertaining athletic performance I have ever seen. Plus, he did accomplish much for the Red Sox. So, I thought, maybe I should wish him well. Forget it. This week reminded me that I should forget about athletes as people and just appreciate what they do on the field.

The Red Sox paid Pedro over $90 million, management let him get away with way too much (midseason vacations, showing up late, or not showing up at all), Theo Epstein surrounded him with players that gave him a World Series Ring. So he should be thankful, right? Read this article.

I have no problem with Pedro leaving for more money. Who doesn't like more money? However, no athlete admits they went to another team for more money. It's always respect. Here's some of what he said, followed by my comments in italics.

...Martinez also criticized the negotiating tactics of Red Sox officials.... Theo Epstein, who he called "arrogant."

Jason Stark wrote about Pedro's negotiating tactics. I won't criticize him for his effort to get more cash, but lets just say Sox management, along with other owners they're friendly with will avoid Pedro's agent. As for Pedro calling someone "arrogant;" that's like Kris from Key West accusing someone of being a soccer fanatic.

He wanted more money than Schilling:
..."Schilling is 38, I'm only 33," he said. "The fact that I had an off-year doesn't mean that I can be below Schilling. Still, with an off-year, I'm way over Schilling as a pitcher and I've pitched pretty much like Schilling the last few years, if you're going to talk about durability."

I saw Pedro pitch the last three years, I saw Schilling pitch the last three years, Pedro, you are no Curt Schilling.

"I'm a proud man and I think I deserve a little respect for the work I've done," he said. "I felt disillusioned and hurt by the way the Red Sox let me go so easily."

Where's my violin? The Sox let him go easily. Sure, read the Jayson Stark article.

"I felt good this year and I feel good now," he said. "I don't know where rumors about my health started. I didn't have a bad year, but it wasn't the norm for me."

Let's see, you missed a big chunk of a season because of a shoulder injury, and since then, your velocity as decreased, your pitch count decreased, you only pitch greatly when you have extra days of rest, and your statistic have worsened. Those damn rumors.

"My goal now is to stay healthy and get the Mets back to the World Series and win it," Martinez said.

I hope your season ends during spring training. Am I being disrespectful and arrogant?

No comments: