Saturday, February 26, 2005

BC Basketball

I usually don't like BC, but I'm starting to like them. Here's why:

  • Al Skinner seems to be a classy guy, and I'm impressed with his coaching
  • BC actually moves without the ball, and they pass! Before Skinner, they just stood around and shot threes.
  • Williams is an incredible shot blocker and only a freshman.
  • Dudley and Smith are college stars. Neither will do anything in the NBA, but they are great college players with well rounded games. They remind me of Lou Roe of UMASS.
  • The Big East hates them. BC leaving the Big East to go to the ACC was not a pretty break up. There were games with horrendous officiating (conspiracy?!?!) and the Big East prevented BC from having many nationally televised games.
  • They have a player with an afro.
  • Role players seem to come up with big plays.
  • They hit their free throws.
  • All their games are close.

2 comments:

Alan said...

I guess Andy Katz is misinformed too. This is what he wrote about BC not being on tv. "The Big East missed out on Boston College (or perhaps chose not to have the Eagles play the top teams twice since BC is leaving for the ACC). BC plays Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Connecticut and Notre Dame once each this season.

But those other four teams play each other twice."

You claim the schedule is created by "the luck of the draw." I believe the Big East schedule is created by the Big East. As for my bandwagoning. I am a very casual NCAA fan (which I guess is a crime in your book). I watched them this year and I liked what I saw. Before, even when they were good, such as when they beat UNC and Indiana in the tournament I hated them because of what I wrote about in my post. They had a boring offense and I thought they were a dirty team.

Alan said...

I tend not to brag about 4-12 teams. I wouldn't call what I'm writing about BC "bragging." It's just good to see a college team with a classy coach who runs an offense that's fun to watch.

Syracuse won a championship with their zone. The best way to beat a zone is with great shooting or good passing, especially when big men pass well. Looking at the success of 'Cuse, not many teams can do that. BC does.

Only three more hours for me to post about Boston. Someone find me a 4-12 team to brag about. The BU football team has been outstanding lately. They haven't lost a game in years!