Thursday, February 17, 2005

Let’s Talk Basketball, and one football thought for free

By Guest Writer Bryan


  • I do not like Karl Malone. Being from Chicago, I am conditioned to hate certain people. Karl Malone makes that list along with Bartman, Favre, and Frank Brikowski. But you cannot downplay how good of a player Malone was. He honestly was the best power forward to play the game, and probably the greatest player never to win an NBA title.
  • McHale is before my time, so that may show you my age a little. But McHale’s greatness is not without Bird. Without Bird, I do not think McHale ever holds up a trophy. The only thing that stopped Malone was Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.
  • Back to me being from Chicago…the Bulls are a top 3 team in the East right now. If you give them a 4-5 record to start off the season, as opposed to a 0-9, they are in the fourth spot of the playoffs, and go ahead and tell me how good the Northeast Division is.
  • Scott Skiles should be coach of the year. Eddy Curry should be comeback player of the year. Ben Gordon can arguably be the Sixth man of the year. Luol Deng or Gordon should be ROY.
  • It is time to talk NCAA tournament. I have my final four. Please keep in my mind; I can not predict Cinderella’s. Oklahoma State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Kentucky.
  • Illinois is really not that great. I refuse to be a homer about them. They play in a weak conference, never really been tested, and have a thin bench for front court players. The key to their tournament life is James Augustine. If he goes down with foul trouble, I think Illini Nation is in for some trouble.
  • Let’s please not refer to the tournament as, ‘the Big Dance,’ really until we get to the Final Four.
  • Maryland fans are dopes. Did any of you see that piece on Sportscenter on what they said to JJ Reddick? Referring to his 14 year old sister. What a bunch of pukes, but I guess that is what you get with a school that burned cars after winning a basketball game.
  • Here is my football thought….I’d be worried to be a Pats fan next year. I really think you’ll be seeing Buffalo winning that division. Getting rid of a sore like Bledsoe is a great move. He had a great running back, a great line, talented receivers, and a defense and could do nothing. Getting rid of Bledsoe, and possibly moving Travis Henry will free up a lot of cap room, plus they have drafted well the past couple of years.

3 comments:

Alan said...

McHale was great without Bird. He might not have won 3 titles, but I have never seen a post up scorer better than McHale. Without Bird, McHale would have won a few scoring titles. Also, near the end of McHale's career when the Bulls were on there way to becoming a dynasty, the Celt's managed to beat them a lot because the Bulls could not stop McHale (while Bird had a bad back). Your Bills theory makes sense only if you trust that the untested JP Loseman can play QB.

Alan said...

With all this posting, I had to join. You're right "Godfather," Boston fans do not talk trash when their teams are losing. The point of talking trash is to brag about your team's success. Can't do it when your teams losing. That being said, I'm not talking about BC because I still don't care about them. I don't understand the Godfather's comment that the Pats offense runs like a program. Sometimes the pound with the running game, sometimes they screen and do short passes, and sometimes they air it out. I wouldn't call this variety boring. I guess you could say it's boring that Brady doesn't scramble and it's boring that he makes few mistakes.

Alan said...

I've been "discussing" the Celts and no one's planning a parade for them. You're getting carried away with this "talking trash" thing. Should I not post about my favorite NFL team when they're going through one of the most remarkable runs in sports? Now, in the past week, this site has had posts about spring training, the NHL lockout, Bledsoe, NBA rookies, steroids, Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, the future of the Bills (unfortunately), the Jets if Belicheck didn't leave, and the Beanpot, plus Bryan touched on a bunch of issues too. Of all of that, I had one cheap shot directed to the Jets and a few Yankee insults. My point is there's plenty of sports discussion available; you are choosing to dwell on the few attacks in the comments sections.