Saturday, February 19, 2005

NBA rookies

Another bad sports weekend. The Rookie Sophomore All Star Game reminds me of Saved by the Bell. As I'm watching I keep telling myself how terrible this is, but I keep watching. I bet Kelly Kapowski has a good chest pass.

Despite how bad the game was, there were some players I haven't seen much of, and there seems to be pretty good talent coming into the league. We all know about LeBron, Wade, Carmelo, and Darko Milicic (kidding), but there are more players we need to pay attention to. Chris Bosh deserves to be getting the same attention Wade and LeBron are getting. Kyle Korver has a beautiful shot and if Ashton Kutcher ever does a basketball movie, Korver would be a great body double.

As for the rookies. I went two paragraphs in an NBA post without mentioning the Celtics, so I'm getting the shakes. Tony Allen and Al Jefferson will both be All Stars. The only issue with Allen is his shot. Atlanta's Josh Smith is an amazing athlete -- I can't wait to see what he does in the dunk contest (did I just write that?). Whether he knows how to play basketball is still a question. The Bulls' rookies look like they know what they're doing, so Bryan should be happy.

And finally, there's Orlando's Dwight Howard. Before, I didn't understand why the Magic drafted him instead of Okafur. Now I understand. He reminds me of Shawn Kemp when Kemp was good. I could see him in winning an MVP in about five years or so.

No comments: