Saturday, February 05, 2005

Guess I should do a preview

This two week break killed me. Any momentum I had before the Pitt game is gone. Please don't compare this preview to my Pats/Colts preview. I just don't think I'm in playoff form. Hopefully, the Patriots have more discipline than I do. On to the preview: first the matchups, then some random thoughts.

Special Teams:

I've written how this important part of the game is often overlooked, and sure enough, special teams hasn't been that important this post season. Oops, forgot about the Jets and the Chargers. The Pats kicking coverage has seemed to improve and Bethel Johnson always has the chance of running one back. We all know about Vinatieri, but if the Eagles need a field goal to win, Ackers is a good guy to go to.

Pats offense versus Eagles defense:

This is the matchup that concerns me the most. The Eagles defense has looked excellent this offseason. I also see a similarity with the Eagles defense and the Dolphins defense. I'm guessing that Jim Johnson will try to duplicate Miami's defense. The Eagles have Pro Bowl secondary and strong linebackers. A possible key is what the defense line can do against the Pats offensive line. The Dolphins were able to generate a good pass rush without blitzing much. If the Eagles can do this, they might contain the Pats offense.

With that being said, the Patriots offense has been great. They have the flexibility to beat a defense no matter what it tries to do. They can dink and dunk, pound the ball with Dillon, or throw the ball deep. Also, Brady does well against the blitz and I'd be surprised if the Eagles are able to confuse him.

I'm not expecting the Eagles to blitz as much as they usually do, and this will be pretty effective against the Patriots. However, even if their defense is effective against the Pats passing game, Corey Dillon could still run right through them.

Final thought: The Eagles could contain the Pats offense, but that won't matter because of...

Pats defense versus Eagles offense

I see this as a major advantage for the Pats. The Eagles offense just doesn't compare to the Colts and the Steelers. There is only one concern I have in this matchup: McNabb's scrambling. He could have a good run or buy himself enough time for a receiver to get open. I think this is Belichick's concern too, so he'll probably take care of it.

While McNabb's strong at scrambling, his biggest weakness is probably his accuracy. That's just a weakness you can't have against the Patriots. Even in his wins against the Falcons and Vikings, McNabb threw several passes that were off the mark. They were incompletes against NFC teams. The Patriots defense tend to catch those inaccurate passes.

Final Thoughts: If the Eagles want points, they'll need to get them through their defense or special teams.

Random Thoughts:

  • Terrell Owens. The Patriots held their own against Marvin Harrison and Hines Ward, so is it really a big deal if Owens plays?
  • Have I mentioned that the NFC is weaker than the AFC? This could mean that I'm over rating the Eagles defense. On the other hand, the Pistons beat the Lakers last year, so being in a weak conference doesn't automatically make you a weak team.
  • I believe I read this from Peter King. During the playoffs, Bruschi has been dropping back on some plays, playing like an extra safety. This is the same guy who often stuffs the run right at the line of scrimmage. At least I can't complain about him not being in the Pro Bowl.
  • Remember the clip of Vrabel absolutely decleating Dallas Clark in the 5 yard bump zone? Is it wrong of me to pray for that to happen to Owens and Mitchell... repeatedly?
  • From the Brushback: Guy with crappy Eagles blog miffed that he wasn't granted a media Super Bowl credential. That's it! I've got a crappy blog, I'm going for that credential next year. Wait, next year is in Detroit. Maybe the following year.
  • How much effort do you think the Eagles receivers put into choreographing their touchdown dances?
  • The Eagles have seemed loose and relaxed this week. This relaxed attitude could mean that they feel they have nothing to lose, so they have a good game. It could also mean that they're just happy to be there.
  • I don't like that Rodney Harrison responded to Mitchell's comments. The Patriots always wait for after the game to talk back.
  • Wouldn't it be nice to see Troy Brown return a punt for a touchdown, return an interception for a touchdown, and catch a touchdown? While we're at it, maybe he can run a reverse for a touchdown, throw a touchdown, kick a field goal, get a safety, and diagram a play that results in a touchdown.
Final thoughts and a prediction

On paper the Patriots look better, and the Patriots always seem to win the big game. However, I still have the Boston cynicism, and some day the Patriots will lose a big game and Kris from Key West will finally be able to say, "I told you so." That day just won't be tomorrow. I hope.

Prediction: Patriots 20, Eagles 3




1 comment:

Alan said...

Patten. You gotta do better than that.