Thursday, November 18, 2004

The Pedro Decision

Brian e-mailed me asking me how serious Pedro is about going to the Yanks and if it's worth it for the Red Sox to commit $25 million to him.

Pedro? my gut's telling me he's just using the Yankees and he doesn't want to sign with them. Yank fans won't like Pedro unless he throws a couple perfect games for them and throws at the heads of every single Red Sox batter. His teammates might not like him, and the Yankee clubhouse will seem overly strict to him compared to the Sox clubhouse. Pedro's a smart person and understands all of this.

All of this points to Pedro not going to NY except for one big thing: MONEY. The Yankees are offering more years and a higher salary. This could mean about $15 million more than he could make with another team. Yes, Pedro has all the money he needs, but I think even Bill Gates would have a tough time saying no to an extra $15 million.

Worth $25 Million for Sox? I'm struggling with this one, and I think the Sox are too. Pedro has a great history with the Sox and is still a top pitcher despite his limitations (6 inning pitcher and struggles against the Yanks). Plus, he's likely to have a serious injury pretty soon. (Go to Bartcop MD to learn about his torn labrum).

There are rumors that Francona and some in management are hoping he doesn't comeback for the above reasons, and some are tired with how he acts in the clubhouse. There might be some truth in this, but the Sox gave him a pretty good offer. I guess I like the idea of Pedro signing for 2 years, but not more. There's some sentimental feelings behind my choice, but he is still a good pitcher. Then again, I also like the potential of what the Red Sox could do with $25 million if they don't sign Pedro.

I would have been better off answering Brian's question by just typing, "I don't know."


No comments: