Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Tedy Bruschi taking the year off










I'm reacting to this news in two ways, as a human and as a football fan. As a human, I'm happy he's making this decision. He seems to be a good a family man, and he should be taking every precaution before he even thinks about playing football again. If he chooses to retire, I won't hold it against him.

As a Pat's fan, I'm nervous, There's still talent at the middle linebacker position with the additions of Chad Brown and Monty Beisel, so that position won't be a weakness. What the Patriots will miss is Bruschi incredible ability to make a big play -- a tackle preventing first down, an interception somehow almost always returned for a touchdown, or forcing and/or recovering a fumble. Bruschi was the best linebacker in football last year, and the Patriots will miss his superior play and his knack for always being in the right place at the right time.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Good call on the Lewis death. I had meant to mention it, and I think Lewis's death will be in the back of Boston fans' minds if we hear some Doctor say it's okay for Bruschi to play.