Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Thinking about the White Sox

The White Sox have been around for over 100 years. We know they haven't won anything in a long time, but fans of other teams can say that too. Fans of other teams, however, can point out a Top Shelf Hall of Fame player that represented their team. For example, Cubs fan may have not seen a World Series in a while, but at least they got to see Ernie Banks play.

Here's a list of teams that have been around for over 100 years and an example of an All Time Legend associated with the team. Some teams have more than one player, but I'll just list one.

Braves - Hank Aaron
Orioles/Browns - Cal Ripken
Red Sox - Ted Williams
Cubs - Ernie Banks
Reds - Pete Rose
Indians - Bob Feller
Tigers - Ty Cobb
Dodgers - Jackie Robinson
Twins/Senators - Harmen Killebrew
Yankees - Steve Howe
Athletics - Jimmie Foxx
Phillies - Steve Carlton
Pirates - Roberto Clemente
Giants - Willie Mays
Cardinals - Stan Musial

Now who do you associate with the White Sox? There's Shoeless Joe Jackson, but he was on the Sox for less than 10 years, and there was that little Black Sox thing. There's also Carlton Fisk, but 1975 makes me associate him with the Red Sox despite playing more years with the White Sox.

So being a White Sox fan means not being in the World Series since 1959 and not winning one since 1917, being overshadowed by the Cubs, and not having a memorable player associated with your team for over 100 years.

White Sox fans, I commend your team loyalty.

2 comments:

Alan said...

Let's see: Willlie Mays, Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, Harold Baines -- which of these players don't belong in the group?

I forgot about Aparicio and don't know much about him. In fact, I just found out he finished is career with the Red Sox.

Minosa played in 5 decades and had some good season, but not a Hall of Famer

Alan said...

My bad. I forgot I was asking people to come up with people you associate with the White Sox and Baines is a good example. For some reason, I thought you were arguing with the point of my article by pointing out Baines.

My baseball search engine has come up with Ron Kittle and La Marr Hoyt