Sunday, August 21, 2005

Worst College Football Preview Ever

I don't think I watched a college game last season until around January 1st. However, for the first time in years, I'm actually excited about the college season started. Here's the reasons why I'm excited about the season, and a preview from someone who knows little about college football.

The 2005 Rose Bowl
After watching that game I told myself I had to start watching some more college football. While Braylon Edwards and Cedric Benson are no longer around, several of the key players from the 38-37 thriller are still there. Is Vince Young the next Michael Vick? Is Steve Breaston the next Desmond Howard? Is Mike Hart the next Tom Brady? Is Alan getting carried away?

The return of other players I actually heard of
There's two reasons why I'm not a diehard college fan. I don't have a favorite team that I follow closely and I can't keep up with who the best players are. Usually, once I figure out who they are, they're leaving to the NFL.

This year I actually know some players! I've already mentioned Vince Young, Mike Hart, and Steve Breaston. There's also three players who were at last year's Heisman ceremony: Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush, and Matt Leinart.

As for Matt Leinart: Has there ever been a quarterback returning with as much success in his past has Leinart has had? Is there anyway he can improve upon what he's already done? Maybe he can hook up with more Hollywood starlets.

Coaches I care about
Until this year, Pete Carroll was the only coach I was interested about. It's amazing that this is the same guy that was run out of New England. I'll be writing about comparing his Patriots and Trojans experience another time.

Charlie Weis. I have never rooted for Notre Dame (the result of going to college with obnoxious Notre Dame fans and a lifetime dislike of Lou Holtz). I'm going to find it tough to root against Weis. I'd love to see him rebuild a program, but I don't know if I want to hear from gloating Notre Dame fans again. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how Weis does. I say he'll do great. He'll be able to recruit players by telling them he'll get them ready for the NFL. Also, besides being a coordinator in New England, he was instrumental in the development of players. Weis has been credited for helping the development of Ben Coates, Curtis Martin, Keyshawn Johnson, and Tom Brady. He should get the most out of his college players.

Steve Spurrier. He might be a smug jerk who was a failure in the NFL, but his college teams are always exciting. For the first time in my life I'll actually want to watch a South Carolina game. Plus, now no one can argue that Steve Spurrier is a Cock -- s South Carolina Gamecock.

Urban Meyer. Utah played a fascinated exciting offense last year under Meyer. It will be interesting to see what Meyer does with the great athletes of Florida.

Dave Wannstedt. Will he continue to be an inept coach or will he catch a case of PeteCarrollitis?

BC joining the ACC
When the only game on television is BC versus Rutgers it's tough to be college football fan. I'd rather watch the Christie Brinkley infomercial. Now I get to see BC lose to Florida State and Clemson.

So that's my pathetic preview. I won't embarass myself with any predictions.

No comments: