Thursday, January 06, 2005

Anybody want to write about NFC teams?

I was all set to write "pro's" and "con's" for each NFC team, but I've been busy. Actually, that's not completely true; I just don't want to write about these teams. It really bothers me that one of these teams will be in the Super Bowl even though they'd be underdogs against the Buffalo Bills or Jacksonville Jaguars. I'll try to write a few sentences about each team. If you'd like to see more detail about these teams, feel free to write something.

Philadelphia Eagles -- They were the popular pick because they looked so good against bad teams. People are afraid to pick them now because of the T.O. injury, but who else is there? The Eagles defense is good, especially when they play against the weak offenses of the NFC East, but the offense is a big question mark. They haven't had a good offensive game since they played the Packers in the beginning of December. A Pop Warner team could have a good offensive game against the Packers.

Atlanta Falcons -- I'm leaning towards picking them because of their defense and the playmaking ability of Michael Vick. I'm trying to ignore the facts that every time I watched them play, they were terrible, and that Michael Vick isn't a good quarterback. He makes big plays but he's inaccurate and makes poor decisions. One last plus for the Falcons, Mora Jr. is the only coach of the remaining NFC teams that I haven't been critical of. Then again, he's only coached one season.

Green Bay Packers -- The Packers played three teams with winning records. They lost and gave up over 45 points to two of these teams. When was the last time a team with a terrible defense made it to the Super Bowl? Then again, Favre is always capable of being the hero. I won't get into Favre's, Green's, and Sherman's foibles again.

St Louis Rams -- Have I mentioned I think Martz is the worst NFL coach I've ever seen? When the Broncos got blown out in the Super Bowl, some Pats fans felt better because the Broncos defeat was worse than the 86 Super Bowl embarrassment. I wonder if Rich Kotite is relieved to see Martz lowering the standard for poor coaching. Has any other coach wasted so much talent?

Seattle Seahawks -- I watched the Seahawks lose to the Pats and the Jets. They looked no better than the 49ers. If they were in the AFC East this year, Miami would have finished ahead of them. There is also the concern of Shaun Alexander playing with the coach's knife in his back. His agility will probably be affected, but it may be a good reminder to concentrate on not fumbling.

Minnesota Vikings -- They lost twice to Green Bay 34-31, and if I remember correctly, both games could have gone either way. So, it's good to assume the same for this weekend. This team does not get blown out much, but they have a knack for losing close games. Then again, they're in the NFC, so yada, yada, yada...

One last note: Don't forget Minnesota, St. Louis, and Atlanta are dome teams. Dome teams usually don't play well on the road in the playoffs.


No comments: