Saturday, January 22, 2005

Defending the NBA

By Patriotsy2k

In the Yao Ming article you wrote last week, you ridiculed him and the NBA in general. Last night I saw an excellent game between the Spurs and Suns, which the Spurs were able to pull out in OT, 128-123. This gave the Suns 6 losses in a row, and they had plenty of opportunities to seal this game before falling apart in the last minute. As great as Stoudemire is, he missed several freebies late in the 4th that started the Spurs comeback. If not for Marion's 3 at the buzzer, the game would have never even gone to OT.

This game was kind of like a throwback to the 1980's style of basketball. I was thinking last night during the game how these 2 teams pass around looking for good shots (with good shooters), run the floor, and drive to the hole. I was even more impressed with San Antonio's depth, and how they are all on the same page. With role players like Barry (crucial 3's down the stretch), Malik Rose, and even that guy Beno Udrih, they are the basketball version of the Patriots. Good coaching, plenty of depth, and a commitment to team play and winning.

As far as the Suns are concerned, they have an excellent starting five (Nash, Amare, Marion, JJ, and Quintin R) but little after that. This losing streak is a combination of Nash's injury and too much "1988 Celtics" emphasis. The schedule is VERY favorable to them coming up, so don't expect this losing streak to continue. They get to play the formidable division that's called the Atlantic.

So to sum this up......not all NBA basketball is a cause for ridicule. Looking at the schedule I would love to see the Bulls at Pistons or the Wizards at Pacers games. Unfortunately, I never plugged my receiver in so I cant watch them.

1 comment:

Alan said...

You just demonstrated why I get so frustrated on watching and writing about the NBA. There is so much going for this league -- some good teams who run and play unselfishly, LeBron and Wade, even Shaq seems more tolerable away from LA, Kobe, and Zen Master Phil.

I just see all this potential get screwed up by bad officiating, bad fundamentals, selfish players (remind me to write about McGrady), and coaches who prevent their own teams from playing offense.

So when I'm critical it's because I see something that could be great being tarnished.