Sunday, January 02, 2005

Some great football

Forget all this BCS garbage. I watch college football probably a total of ten times a year, but after what I saw the last few days, I might start watching some more.

Louisville versus Boise State. After seeing this game, I was ready to say this would be the best bowl game of the year. Little did I know. Good quarterback play by guys with no NFL futures, great kicking, and Louisville had this enormous running back with amazing quickness. Reminded me of Jerome Bettis. If you haven't noticed, I'm too lazy to look up names.

Iowa versus LSU. This was a good physical game. The 55-yard game winning touchdown pass will be a play that everyone remembers, but at the time, all I could think of was that this was some of the worst clock management I'd ever seen. It was pure confusion leading up to that play. The clock started after a procedure penalty and the announcers hadn't noticed. I don't think the Iowa or LSU players noticed either. If the Iowa receiver is tackled on the five yard line, the game's over with all of Iowa wondering why they didn't use two of their timeouts. Lucky for the Iowa coached, the receiver made it to the endzone and everyone's happy.

Michigan versus Texas. So much talent. For Michigan: Braylon Edwards seemed to be able to get a touchdown or first down whenever he felt like it. Steve Breaston with 315 total yards, and a freshman quarterback who played like a senior.

Then there was Vince Young. Does Michigan have a terrible defense or is this the next Michael Vick? The fact that Oklahoma shut out Young and company might make me reconsider my prediction of a USC victory.

Utah versus Pitt. I only saw a half of this. Utah played like a smart team and Smith looked good. Utah reminded me of Princeton basketball; I'd love to see how this team would match up against a major program. If only there was some type of playoff system. I wonder if anyone's given any thought to that.

No comments: