Monday, April 04, 2005

I win the bracket!

(North Carolina won too)

My critical post after the 'Nova game must have motivated them. Thanks for visiting the site Mr. Williams.

Anyway, a few thoughts as Illinois and Patriotsy2k drown the sorrows in beer:

This was a pretty simple game to understand. Both teams did nothing surprising and played to their game plans. Carolina won because no one could stop Sean May and Illinois didn't hit some important three pointers at the end. I'm happy for Roy Williams and I'm happy that this win is pissing off all those Duke fans.

I think I'm stealing this idea from Bill Simmons. Since there were so many supposed future NBA players in this game, I'll try to compare a few to former and present NBA players.

Luther Head: Joe Dumars. He plays within the game plan, doesn't force shots, is great on defense, and has a beautiful shot. Could have a good NBA career, but, then again, many so called "future Joe Dumars" end up playing in Europe.

Deron Williams: Jason Kidd. I kept thinking of Kidd when I watched Williams play with such control, come up with big shots when the team needs one, always ending up in the right place at the right time, and always making those little outstanding play that only smart and talented players make. Kidd's a better passer, but Williams is a better shooter and better defender.

Dee Brown: Danna Barros and I'm being generous. He'll be nothing but a streak shooter in the NBA.

Roger Powell Jr.: Ed Pinckney. I know this is wishful thinking, but I'd love to see Powell in the NBA, but he's probably too short. Had to mention Pinckney in honor of the 20th anniversary of 'Nova's win.

Rashad McCants: Todd Day. I think I heard McCants is an NBA prospect, but all I see is a guy who looks good for a little bit, and then disappears.

Raymond Felton: Marcus Banks. He has all the talent, is quick, and is a much better shooter than Banks, but Felton will get coaches fired. He makes so many bad decisions, and it will take him years to learn how to play point guard. Maybe he could develop like Chauncey Billups did.

Marvin Williams: Corey Maggette. I know the position is wrong, but I see him leaving school early when it's clear he's no where close to ready for the NBA (just like Maggette). He better hope NBA scouts missed this game. As for his style of play, I guess you could compare it to Kevin Garnett without the size or talent.

Sean May: ???????? I saved the toughest for last. I'm impressed with his sure hands, positioning, shooting touch, and just how he dominates opponents. He'll still have the first three in the NBA, but he won't be able to take advantage of his size as much. Here's another problem: he's a back to the basket player. Unless your name is Shaq, today's NBA player won't pass it to you in the post. Therefore he's gonna have to get most of his points through offensive rebounds. Glass half full: Moses Malone (yeah, I know it's a stretch). Glass half empty: Stacey King

Update: I just heard someone compare May to Elton Brand which I think makes sense. I've been thinking about this too much.

No comments: