Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Mariano cheered in Boston, booed in NY

I never would have believed I would see the above words. I'm not going to get into Yankee fans booing Rivera, but the Sox fans cheering Rivera might have been the funniest crowd moment I've ever seen. To make it better, Rivera's reaction was perfect; with a big smile on his face, he tipped his cap several times. I think I just complimented a Yankee. Strange.

Yesterday was a perfect day of baseball for a Sox fan. Here's some highlights.
  • They had moment of silences for the Pope and Dick Radatz. Is that disrespectful to Radatz? The moment of silence for Radatz was interrupted by a loud fan yelling, "A-Rod, you suck." I agree with Dan Shaughnessy who wrote that Radatz probably would have approved.
  • The Boston Pops performing and James Taylor singing, "America the Beautiful"
  • A teary Johnny Pesky finally getting a ring and saluting the Yankee dugout.
  • The Yankees applauding Pesky and others as they respectfully sat on the top step of the dugout during the entire ceremony. (Another compliment to the Yankees! What's wrong with me?)
  • Sox fans booing a ten-year-old Yankee ballboy during introductions.
  • Bobby Orr and Bill Russell where there; what else can you ask for?
  • Seeing Bruschi's first public appearance since his stroke and getting the ovation he deserves.
  • Derek Lowe and Dave Roberts coming back to get ovations they deserved.
  • A-Rod making an error.
  • Sox fans giving A-Rod a standing ovation after making a routine fielding play.
  • The Sox beat the Yankees. That's usually enough for a good day.

1 comment:

Alan said...

I agree that the fan who yelled during the moment of silence had no class, but I also found some humor in it.