Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Sportspickle headline or a Jets fan wishful thinking?

Patriots fire Belichick, Pioli after Draft Receives Only a "C" Grade from Mel Kiper

Big excerpt:

“...When I saw Kiper give his scathing review of our draft on ‘SportsCenter’ on Monday night, my mind was made up right then and there,” said Kraft. “I didn’t even need to think about it. I called Bill and Scott and scheduled a meeting for first thing Tuesday morning. I think they knew what was coming.”

Both Belichick and Pioli said Kraft didn’t let them try to explain their side of the story at the Tuesday meeting, and instead just fired them the moment they walked into his office. But both felt his reasons were ultimately sound.

“I was watching the same ‘SportsCenter’ broadcast and when I saw Kiper give his opinion on our draft, I knew my job could be in trouble,” said Belichick. “I pulled my wife aside and told her what had happened and what Mel had said. Not a minute later, I got the call from Bob about meeting.”

Pioli, too, says he was not surprised by Kraft’s decision.

“For years we’ve been walking the tightrope with Mel Kiper, Jr,” said Pioli. “Lots of Bs, but never a C-grade. Until now, unfortunately. And like everyone in the NFL, Bob Kraft highly values Mel Kiper, Jr.’s opinion – and why wouldn’t he? Sure, people might crack on Kiper about his hair or how he predicted Andre Ware and Tony Mandarich would be Hall of Famers, but don’t forget that he also famously predicted Trent Dilfer would be a better pro than Trev Alberts. And think how great Trent Dilfer has become. Kiper is an unparalleled visionary and no one – not even me and Bill Belichick – can hope to measure up to him. If he says you screwed up your draft, well – you screwed up your draft.”

Left without a coach and general manager with the regular season just more than four months away, Kraft said he will first consult Kiper about a successor.

“I’d love to hire him as general manager, but I don’t think I could afford him, plus I figure there’s some NFL rule prohibiting one team from having sole access to his genius. It would provide an unfair advantage,” said Kraft...

No comments: