Monday, May 23, 2005

Jim O'Brien fired

This is what I wrote right before the season started in my NBA preview:

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS - I’ve seen plenty of Jim O’Brien, but I’m still not sure how I rate him as a coach. Positives: players love him and play hard for him, his teams play defense, and his grouchy regular guy press conferences will play well with Sixer fans. Negatives: Developed the worst offensive system in the history of basketball and although his defense causes turnover and bad shots, it leaves his team vulnerable to offensive rebounds. (Playoffs)

On ESPN, Stephen A. Smith ripped apart O'Brien, saying how the players absolutely hated him. This seems strange since it seemed that Celtics did like playing for him, but I think I underestimated how much the players hated Pitino before O'Brien. It didn't matter what flaws O'Brien had, he wasn't Pitino and that was good enough for the Celtics.

Whether or not O'Brien is a jerk, he deserved to be fired because he's a poor coach. His defensive schemes don't work against good teams, and he doesn't coach offense.

Finally, look at the track record of how players under O'Brien developed. Banks and Perkins played like rookies this season because O'Brien ignored them last season. Then there's the two most prominent O'Brien players: Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce. Coming out of college these guys were incredibly talented and had well rounded games. Now they're one-dimensional babies who don't make their teammates better. Pitino and O'Brien had something to do with this development.

Sure, I'm bitter about the Celtics, especially seeing how much better the Suns, Spurs, Heat, and Pistons are. Anyway, my point is O'Brien deserved to be fired.

No comments: