Saturday, October 15, 2005

Good & lucky

USC just beat Notre Dame in maybe the best college game I've seen. Some thoughts:
  • When the teams hit the field, Weis slowly walked in after his players like a mafia boss, a fat mafia boss. Then Pete Carroll came running out like he was jogging on the beach, occasionally pointing to some cute coeds. My point? Don't have one, they're both great college coaches.
  • During the entire game, I'm thinking Reggie Bush clinched the Heisman. Then Matt Leinart audibles on 4th and long and throws a perfect pass to get his team into field goal position. The he wins the game with his quarterback sneak.
  • Leinart easily could have been the goat though if he didn't fumble the ball out of bounds. The fumble stopped the clock. I'm sure Jake Plummer's made the same mistake, but I also believe Drew Bledsoe did too while being coached by Pete Carroll.
  • It looks like the refs got it right at the end of the game. It was pretty suspicious to see the clock ticking to zero as the ref was clearly signaling for the clock to stop. The clock keeper is probably some Notre Dame senior wearing a Tim Brown jersey.
  • The screens, the quarterback sneaks in spread formations, passes when you're expecting runs, runs when you're expecting passes, Weis's enormous gut -- Patriot fans must appreciate seeing the JV Pats on Saturdays.
  • Pete Carroll with some trickery! Faking that his team would spike the ball, then calling the sneak. I don't think he fooled Notre Dame, but that was a gutsy call. If Leinart doesn't get in, Pete Carroll's second guessed forever.
  • Pete Carroll's been great for fans of college football and it looks like Charlie Weis will make the game even better. Can't wait to see these teams play again.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Good point Godfather about the fake spike. I guess there wouldn't be a point of doing it. I knew the Michigan game was close, but then I got so enthralled with the USC game, I forgot to watch the ending of the Michigan game. A complete failure of my remote control abilities.

Patsy2k, I can't really think of two other former coaches going at it. Did Rod Rust and Dick McPherson have an epic Pop Warner battle after their Pats careers?