Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I pity the dress code


The new NBA dress code forbidding exposed chains will certainly prevent Mr. T from joining the league.

It makes sense that the NBA wants its players to look professional, even if there are more important issue for them to concentrate on.

Believe it or not, I'm actually going to agree with an Indiana Pacer on the issue. Here's what Stephen Jackson said:

"I think it's a racist statement because a lot of the guys who are wearing chains are my age and are black," said Jackson, 27. "I wore all my jewelry today to let it be known that I'm upset with it.

"I'll wear a suit every day. I think we do need to look more professional because it is a business. A lot of guys have gotten sloppy with the way they dress. But it's one thing to [enforce a] dress code and it's another thing if you're attacking cultures, and that's what I think they're doing."

"Racist" is a bit of a loaded word, and I wouldn't say it's a blatant case of racism. It is interesting that the jewelry rule only affects black players (and maybe some old Italians). I also think players can look professional while showing off some of their jewelry. The league should tweak that part of the rule.

No comments: