Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Somebody might get hurt

I've complained about basketball players flopping before. My estimate is that when players are "knocked over," 95% of the time they could have kept their balance and stay up. Basketball players should be pretty athletic after all. However, are basketball officials capable of calling a charge without a player dramatically falling? Unfortunately, I don't think so; refs aren't even capable of calling traveling or three seconds.

I don't know what the solution is. The best thing would be for refs to decrease charging calls when people flop and increase their calls when the defender stays up after taking a charge. Again, I don't think refs are capable of this.

As for someone getting hurt: the Suns Leandro Barbosa will miss up to three weeks due to a knee injury caused by a flop of, you guessed it, Manu Ginobli.

No comments: